Why BOYNECLARKE LLP?
We are a dynamic, fast-growing, full-service law firm located in downtown Dartmouth with spectacular views of the Halifax Harbour. We understand that the success and well-being of our clients and our colleagues is often rooted in our shared community, which is why we are deeply invested in giving back. We strengthen and support our commitment to community through various programs and initiatives, including a volunteer time program, employee-driven initiatives, and monthly community giving to employee-selected charities.
We also understand that work-life integration, health, and wellness play an important role in our team’s ability to be successful and maintain a healthy working environment. Through financial literacy programs, fitness classes, a wellness subsidy program, and committee-led initiatives, our colleagues thrive at BOYNECLARKE.
Why this role?
Due to continued growth, we are seeking a highly attentive legal professional who is detail oriented and thrives in a fast-paced environment. Our ideal candidate is self-motivated, organized, and values a rewarding career contributing to the success of our expanding Personal Injury team.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
As a Personal Injury Legal Assistant, your responsibilities will include:
- Conducting intake for new clients and opening files;
- Reviewing, prioritizing, and distributing incoming and outgoing mail/couriers, coordinating faxes, and scanning/copying documents;
- Maintaining up-to date and accurate electronic and paper client files with the use of a document management system;
- Responding to non-complex inquiries from clients, adjusters, lawyers, and the public;
- Booking meetings, travel, conferences, etc., and generally maintaining lawyer schedule and agenda;
- Transcribing dictations using appropriate format, producing documents, correspondence, and all follow-up work as directed;
- Ordering and overseeing documentation requests including discovery and undertakings; and,
- Processing file settlements and closing files.
Qualifications and Skills
To be successful, you possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Graduate of a Paralegal diploma program or equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Exceptional proofreading skills with ability to notice and fix grammatical, typographical, spelling, diction, and formatting errors;
- Superior communication skills with a demonstrated ability to work with multiple stakeholders;
- Aptitude for critical thinking, problem solving, and making sound judgement calls;
- Proven ability to manage time and demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities in a deadline driven work environment;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and follow instructions with minimal supervision;
- Excellent team player who contributes positively to the team culture; and,
- Adept at using technology such as Outlook and the full Microsoft Office suite, Adobe, and a talent for learning new computer programs quickly.
Additional assets include:
- Previous experience as a Legal Assistant;
- Knowledge of the various levels of court;
- Familiarity with legal terminology, procedures, and documentation; and,
- Knowledge of personal injury and/or insurance law.